Sunday, November 15, 2015

Crying

Sometimes it's just too much....

Paris, Baghdad, Beruit....

ISIS, Boko Haram, Al Qaeda....

Sometimes, I think we'd all be better off without the globalization of social media.  How much can any one person empathize with all the pain in each part of the world?

My life on the Thai-Burmese border means that I focus a lot on what is going on inside Myanmar. The Irrawady, Democratic Voice of Burma, and Free Burma Rangers continually give me updates on the scores of human rights abuses that happen just on the other side of the border town I live in.  I hate that almost every day some new disaster strikes.  Even with the election that brings hope to their country, a 55-year old grandma and a 15-year old boy were shot on Election Day by their own army while walking back from their rice paddy.

I cry for the refugees.  I cry for the thousands of Burmese that live in my town.  I hurt for the thousands more Syrian refugees that are fleeing ISIS.  I hate that this same terrorist organization causes more stable people to distrust the refugees coming to them because "the refugees might be terrorists."  I hate that hundreds of innocent people have died in Paris.  I hate that there have been suicide bombings in Lebanon and Iraq.  I hate how broken the world is.

There is terror, disease, pain, and hurt all over the world.  Everything aches.  We focus our attention and our prayers on the places that we know and are familiar with because we were not made to carry the weight of the entire world.  But at the same time, we need to have a heart for the world.  I like how this blog challenges us to "not lose the opportunity to grow".  Who can we notice that needs us now?

My heart is breaking.  I find comfort that my God's heart breaks for the same things.  This was not His plan for the world, but that He desires to make all things new again.
Isaiah 58 NIV
6 “Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? 
7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter— when you see the naked, to clothe them, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? 
8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness[a] will go before you, and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard. 
9 Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I. “If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk, 
10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. 
11 The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.
Come quickly, Lord Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment