Sunday, March 27, 2016

Happy Easter

Christ is risen from the dead
Trampling over death by death
Come awake, come awake!
Come and rise up from the grave
Christ is risen from the dead
We are one with him again
Come awake, come awake!
Come and rise up from the grave   
Oh death! Where is your sting?
Oh hell! Where is your victory?
Oh Church! Come stand in the light!
Our God is not dead, he's alive! he's alive! 
- "Christ is Risen" by Matt Maher 

Happy Easter!  He is Risen!

As I contemplate Christ's death and resurrection this year, I recognize that there has been so much of me that has died over the past two years.  And yet, I still have reason to be thankful for my God meets me right where I am.  He knows death.  He knows death better than I can or ever will know it.  He "trampled death by death" so that I can live.  He then gloriously arose from the grave.  Because of this I get to see that there truly is abundant life after the dying.  He made this way for us.

I really needed this Easter.  I needed to know that Jesus knew what my struggle feels like.  I needed to grieve with Him as I remembered His cross and His pain.  It helps me to see my pain in a better light.  There is hope.  There is a resurrection and life.

Last year, we spent our Easter mostly alone.  We had so many hopes for our ministry here.  We went to the border to pray over the people there, and had a Easter "feast" from street food from the Sunday Burmese market.

Easter feast
Our blurry Easter feast 2015


This year was different.  We began the morning by going out to the reservoir for a worship time and breakfast.

IMG_20160327_080427.jpg

Earlier in the week we spontaneously invited anyone from my women's group that didn't have a place to go for Easter to come to our house for Sunday lunch.  No planning - just come and bring what you'd like.  We ended up having 11 people join us!

IMG_20160327_121847.jpg
The Grown-Ups

IMG_20160327_121839.jpg
The kids
IMG_20160327_120749.jpg
We had so much food this year!

As I continue to grieve the death of some of the dreams that I had for us here in Thailand, I remember that Jesus is enough.  He is our model as the firstborn of his new creation.  Old things have passed away, and He is making all things new.  He will lead us into the glorious life that He intends for us.

It is already beginning...

1 comment: